The Rochester Makerspace is located at 850 St. Paul Street in almost 4,000 square feet of workspace. We’re a new volunteer-run nonprofit organization (soon to be a 501c3) that wants to encourage learning, creativity and collaboration by providing the Rochester community with low-cost access to a wide variety of sophisticated tools, shared and private workspaces, and classes in technology and the industrial and fine arts. Our goal is to create an organization and facility that the entire community can use and be proud of.
Upcoming classes & Events
Thursday nights are OPEN nights! You are invited to come and use the Rochester Makerspace for free. Bring something to make or work on, help us with one of our group projects, or just come to meet other “makers” and see what we have to offer. (Sorry, but nonmembers won’t be able to use some of our tools because of safety concerns).
- Intro to Relief Printing (Woodblock) – a 3-hour class on Saturday, 4/13
- Intro to Stained Glass – six 2-hour classes beginning Tuesday, 4/16
- Intro to Cast Concrete – six 2-hour classes beginning Thursday, 4/18
More classes are coming soon. We’re always looking for instructors. Please let us know if you’d like to teach something.
Tools & Equipment
- A woodworking shop with a new SawStop professional cabinet table saw, a new Rikon Deluxe 14-inch bandsaw, a Jet 6-inch planer, a Grizzly 15-inch thickness planer, a chop saw, a drill press, a central dust collection system, and an air filtration unit. We’re also building a 25×25-inch CNC (computer controlled) router that is about 70% done.
- A Solidoodle 3D printer. We’re building a second 3D printer that should be available soon.
- An electronics bench with oscilloscopes, power supplies, soldering irons, and more.
- A small machine shop with an 8×12 lathe and a mini-mill.
- Sewing machines
- Tools and a workstation for doing stained glass.
- A MIG welder, plasma cutter, jump shear and some other metal fabrication equipment that won’t be installed until we have more time and help.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 6 PM to about 10 PM
- Saturday: 9 AM to about 3 PM
We’re working hard to expand our hours and to install a keycard system that will give our members access to the makerspace from 8 AM to 10 PM everyday.
We Need Your Help
We are a completely volunteer run organization that is trying to do something big, ambitious and complicated. We could really use some more help so please volunteer if you can. We have variety of tasks and jobs ranging from simple to challenging, and from quick to long-term. By volunteering you’ll have an opportunity to make a big difference, gain knowledge, experience and skills, meet others, and make contacts in the community. At the moment we especially need:
- A Volunteer Coordinator – recruit new volunteers and help keep us focused on our top priorities
- Writing / Marketing / Promotional Help – Almost no one knows about us yet or what a makerspace is. We need help telling the community who we are and what we offer.
- Instructors / Mentors / Shop Managers – We need artists, craftsmen, techs, woodworkers, machinists, welders, designers and others who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. You can teach a class (for free or for pay), lead group projects, or just be available in the makerspace to help or answer questions.
- Repair & Maintenance Help – To help us keep our tools working properly.
We don’t like having to ask you to donate money and things. But we’re just getting started and there are some essential things that we absolutely need to operate, grow and thrive. So please considering donating money or something on our wishlist. If you’re one of the first 100 to donate $100 or more you’ll become a member of our Founder’s Club which will get you bragging rights and your name on a commemorative commemorative plaque that will be prominently displayed in the Rochester Makerspace.
For More Information
Please see our FAQ and news pages for more information. You can also contact us by email or phone, and you’re always welcome to visit us at the Rochester Makerspace. We also encourage you to sign up for our email announcement list.